[Lumiera] Webserver update

Christian Thaeter ct at pipapo.org
Sat Sep 27 01:51:20 CEST 2014

Am Fri, 26 Sep 2014 19:11:50 -0400
schrieb Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com>:

> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 10:30:21PM +0200, Christian Thaeter wrote:
> > with recent bash bugs (cough) and our little outdated webserver i am
> > going to give it a big dist upgrade asap, while being at it i think
> > i'll just go over to debian/testing (sans systemd)
>
> I hope it's still possible to use testing without systemd.
> If it is, lt me know how.  I've been updating my laptop on testing
> ever since the last time testing turned into stable, and somehow
> systemd has crept in.

you can purge it and (re-)install sysvinit, of course this works only
on a sane (aka non-gnome) system :D,. I woudn't do this if i hadnt
that running here at the office.

> On the installer mailing list, people have requested the option to
> not use systemd, and they've been turned down.

I really wanted to move away from the Debian Kindergarden someday, but
NixOS which I consider an alternative uses systemd as well :/

Anyway I don't think all systemd's ideas are completely wrong, Whats
wrong is just the much to monolithc complex design with all its cross
dependencies and its heavy init which for sure comes with a lore of
problems and bugs. But maybe we'll get some usable init system which is
very modular (as in modules are optional, i know that the
'implementation' of systemd is somewhat modular) sleek and simple. And
some unified kernel message bus which ties this all together..

	Cheers
		Christian