[Lumiera] ANNOUNCE: Lumiera Developer Meeting, November 2012

Benny Lyons Benny.Lyons at gmx.net
Thu Nov 15 16:26:47 CET 2012

Hi Farid,
Thanks for your interest in Lumiera.  It is always good and ensuring to hear from people who are interested in Lumiera.

As might not be obvious from the Lumiera project pages, the project is alive and kicking.  There is indeed activity within the project, albeit activity that is more of a developer nature; activity that is to a certain degree difficult to portray on the Lumiera site.

There are no small number of potential users all on 'observer mode', waiting in anticipation for tangible results.  Their devotion and interest in Lumiera deserves to be rewarded with more frequent and reliable bulletins to the pages; something to which the core developers, are painfully aware.  Indeed this was discussed last night on our monthly IRC meeting.

We shall attempt to update the News section soon.

You ask after 'the state of Lumiera'?
Well, the project is marching on with much too few developers---a significant drawback in Lumiera at the moment.  Progress is being made, however, the road has been hampered with unexpected technical difficulties.  These have not suppressed development, just caused some delay.  The project is inhabited by a small, but keen and dedicated core of developers, who still adhere to the original sights set by the project when it was initially forked.  Progress is being made, however this is slow at the moment.

The quintessential question on the minds of most people interested in Lumiera, and certainly something I read between the lines of your email,  is 'when'; some would even vie for 'if'.  I, and all the Lumiera core developers, would have to dismiss the 'if'; otherwise we would be wasting our time. The 'when' is more difficult to answer, something with which the Lumiera developers are, to some degree or other, battling with.    From my present coign of vantage, I can not pinpoint a Lumiera date to compete with the hysteria surrounding the release of the recent Windows whatever; nor have we quiet yet booked the Royal Albert Hall for the next iLumiera Launch.   This is still some distance from us at the moment.

There might possibly be a case for the core developers to sit down and rethink how progress is reported---possibly __any__ progress reports being better than none!---but there is a strong resistance within the project to spin-doctor news.  It is not really what Lumiera is about.

You pose the following:
> whats the focus of the project at the moment? do you think you are going
> through a crisis as well?
Well, we do have several foci at the moment, however, these tend to be more technical.
I shall not deliberate in any detail on whether the project is 'going through a crises'.  That is a matter of perspective.  Personally, I would concede to a certain crises in as much as there is not as many developers involved in Lumiera as originally anticipated.  But this seems to be a more general malady suffered by all Open Source projects at the moment.  The original tide of Open Source volunteers has lapsed recently somewhat.

> it would be nice to here a release on news from lumiera :)
I definitely agree. As previously said, we shall try to update the News more frequently, so look out for new postings.

>  i have a lot of hope to someday use lumiera and send you all positive
> vibrations!
Thanks very much, that is always nice to hear.

OK, Farid, I do hope to have addressed most if not all your questions here. Please do not hesitate to contact this ML if something has not been answered satisfactorily, or if you have further observations to make.

Indeed, that applies to anyone reading this ML! Please do not hesitate in passing on your comments to this ML should you feel the wish to do so.

Hope this helps

Benny

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

--