[Lumiera] Question about scons and backporting asciidoc

Christian Thaeter ct at pipapo.org
Mon Feb 27 06:41:12 CET 2012

Am Mon, 27 Feb 2012 05:24:04 +0100
schrieb Ichthyostega <prg at ichthyostega.de>:

> > Am Sat, 25 Feb 2012 08:57:12 +0100 schrieb Christian Thaeter
> > <ct at pipapo.org>:
>
> >> .... but scons has no bootstrap and configure stage (which is
> >> good, no doubt) but still it checks for dependencies implicitly
> >> when building. Is there some way to factor these dependency checks
> >> out (maybe by some empty build target)?
>
> Am 26.02.2012 08:48, schrieb Christian Thaeter:
> > Ok found out, that was easy: env.Alias ('none')
>
> yes, something along this lines.
>
> Please have a look on the develserver, I've done some adjustments
> to the scons builds / builddrone there some months ago. Just committed
> them there into the .git (probably you have a "master" repo for the
> builddrone defs somewhere; I can send you the patches if necessary)

Builddrone v2 is a mere rewrite, making things more streamlined and
simpler, conceptually it stays the same shell soup but the build scripts
are way different. The build scripts have to be rewritten completely, I
am doing and testing that here at home and then replace the ones on the
server in one rush.

 - There'll be no more deep nested 'if' blocks
 - Logging is staged/transactional, every build step generates a
   distinct log (which become later merged for the raw output)
 - Report generation uses the single distinct logs and processes them
   with filters to produce nicely formatted asciidoc output (grep only
   errors and warnings out, use source-highlight)
 - extending it will become easier

> What I did there is to run a simple C build (there is a "hello world"
> target in the tools subdir), exactly to ensure this "bootstrap" works.
> But env.Alias('none') would work as well.
>

> >> Another question: how hard would it be to backport asciidoc and
> >> put a debian package into our depot (note: this is just informal,
> >> I didn't even tried if the wheezy package could be installed in
> >> squeeze already). Simon helped with setting up a improved
> >> builddrone website http://builddrone.pipapo.org/ and we stomped on
> >> some nasty old asciidoc bugs, which we now worked around but it
> >> would be somewhat nice to have a fixed version installed on our
> >> server.
>
> Nice Idea...
>
> Well, basically it just needs trying, if the new package (from
> Wheezy) works on Debian/stable. Usually it does, and thus usually
> it's rather trivial to do such backports. I'll have a look into that
> next day.

Thanks, no urge :)

	Christian