[Lumiera] Gtk3 Is Underway

Michael Fisher mfisher31 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 10:32:14 CEST 2012

Hello everybody,

I was able to make decent progress with migrating to a gtkmm-3.0 gui.
Under wheezy, the lumiera gui will build against the provided gtk3 (and
gdl3) libraries.  I have created three new branches for the endeavor.

mfisher31/gtk3 - Bulk of gtk3 specific transformations here
mfisher31/gdlmm3 - Includes above + gdlmm-port (works)
mfisher31/gcc-4.7 - Changes specific to allow compiling with the wheezy
stock compiler (non-gui).

I'm not exactly sure what I have going on in the gcc-4.7 branch is what
'should' be happening so I made it separate.

The details are in the Git history, but in a nutshell... The transition is
going smoothly, styling isn't there so no dark colors yet, gdl paneling
works, most custom widgets need revamped.  Gdk drawing is not supported in
Gtk3. So things like the video display(s) using Gdk to draw, need
reworked.  The good news though, even though you can't see the timeline
tracks and such, the non-gui systems appear to be running and reacting to
things like the play button, etc.

In some cases, blatent legacy-gtk2-code removal is working very nicely and
cleanly. Its kind of looking like after the migration, the gui will be
leaner and slightly better organized.

The gtk3 branch, without the gcc-4.7 changes, can be built by specifying an
older compiler...  i.e.

$ scons CC=gcc-4.4 CXX=g++-4.4

... should do the trick on Debian 7

As for gdlmm3 it should compile just fine ....

sudo apt-get install libgdl-3-dev mm-common

git clone git://git.gnome.org/gdlmm
cd gdlmm

./autogen.sh

make
sudo make install

...  Is what I did

For whatever reason lumiera doesn't find the gdlmm shared library, for
testing I did:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib target/lumiera

So in short, things are falling together nice.

-Mike