[Lumiera] Problems with git

Ichthyostega prg at ichthyostega.de
Sat Oct 22 22:50:19 CEST 2011

Am 22.10.2011 20:45, schrieb Michael R Fisher:
> So should my command set be something like this....

> $ git checkout gui
> $ git reset --hard origin/gui
> $ git pull origin gui

> Just guessing.
basically correct

in that special case, the git pull won't do anything beyond
what git-reset --hard already did. That is, because

'git-pull' actually is 'git-fetch' followed by a merge

That is indeed the best thing for everyday use, when you're
just following a remote branch or cooperating with a co-worker

This whole 'git reset' stuff should really be the exception
and only necessary when someone upstream (in this case that's me)
consolidated changes and built up a new changed history.
Indeed, 'git reset' throws away old history and forces to use
the new history line available from a remote repo. So that is
always potentially dangerous