[Lumiera] Problems with git

Ichthyostega prg at ichthyostega.de
Sat Oct 22 20:35:18 CEST 2011

Am 22.10.2011 11:19, schrieb Michael R Fisher:
> I think I have it worked out now.  (probably not)  I was under the assumption
> that origin is always the main repository.

usually that's indeed the case. Its kind of a convention to use it
this way. Actually, when you git-clone a repository, Git automatically
defines a remote 'origin' pointing to the source you cloned from

> And I have no idea how to check what origin really is.

git remote show origin

will reveal the actual URL denoted by 'origin'

> I really don't know why git is confusing me so much.

You're not alone. IMHO, the design of the user interface (i.e. the design
of the Git commands you use) is a nice example of interface design done
*not* the right way. Seemingly, those people writing those commands
were excited about all the cool internals they hacked up. And
didn't consider the perspective of the user, who cares a shit
about all those cool hackish details. Only writers of extensions
and other commands do.

While I must admit that they managed to improve the situation quit a lot,
compared with the early releases.

As said already, my recommendation is to use a GUI and always try to understand
where you are. Also, there is the danger to forget to git-fetch beforehand.