[Lumiera] GDL question

Ichthyostega prg at ichthyostega.de
Sun Oct 16 00:59:43 CEST 2011

Am 15.10.2011 17:05, schrieb Michael R Fisher:
> I do actually. ... stable 2.30 sources for gtk2 and gdl-1.0 are hosted here:
> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gdlmm/2.30/

> This 2.30 version builds on my Ubuntu 10.10 with 'stock' dependencies
> installed with apt-get.  Therefore, creating a debian-based official package
> shouldn't be very difficult whatsoever.  Assuming one is familiar with
> debian packaging of course. ;)

;-)
no prob. I'll look into that once we're decided to head into that direction

> I think that it would be a good idea to test it out in lumiera first before
> making any kind of decision though.  I'm confident that I can make it work
> though.

Yeah, my thinking too.
Also the question: does it give us significant benefit. For example,
make the code more readable and easier to maintain? Best to find that
out just by trying it!

> One thing that does concern me the most is the gdlmm developer isn't caring
> for backwards compatibility with gtk2.  In other words, he only has one
> master branch on github that will only build against gtk3 and gdl-3.

I'd propose the following: Assumed, we've found out that GDLmm works
for us, we should approach the Upstream Developer (Fabien Parent)
and discuss matters with him. We could tell him that we would build
and use a Debian package based on the stable version, and maybe maintain
a stable branch, should there be any fixes required. On the long run
I'd expect Lumiera to go the GTK-3 route eventually. But this would
require more constant developer power in the GUI area than we can
effort right now.