[Lumiera] GDL question

Michael R Fisher mfisher31 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 17:05:32 CEST 2011

> So basically, all boils down to the question if we want to take the risk of
> relying on another library with a very small developer base (a single dev?).
> For me, in the extreme this includes the consequence of maintaining a fixed
> version of that library, should the upstream developer choose to abandon it.
>
> What do you think? Does this sound feasible?
I do actually. One thing that does concern me the most is the gdlmm
developer isn't caring for backwards compatibility with gtk2.  In other
words, he only has one master branch on github that will only build
against gtk3 and gdl-3.

However the stable 2.30 sources for gtk2 and gdl-1.0 are hosted here:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gdlmm/2.30/
(must be official?)

This 2.30 version builds on my Ubuntu 10.10 with 'stock' dependencies
installed with apt-get.  Therefore, creating a debian-based official
package shouldn't be very difficult whatsoever.  Assuming one is
familiar with debian packaging of course. ;)

I think that it would be a good idea to test it out in lumiera first
before making any kind of decision though.  I'm confident that I can
make it work though.

-mike