[Lumiera] Summer/Autumn 2011 Quarterly news

Ichthyostega prg at ichthyostega.de
Tue Oct 11 03:11:03 CEST 2011

Am 09.10.2011 17:46, schrieb Wouter Verwijlen:
> Another three months have passed, so that means a new quarterly news report
> needs to be written.

Thanks for the reminder ... time seems to be fleeting.

Basically I left the work on the model (timeline, tracks, clips, sequences)
in the half-finished shape as it is now, and concentrated my efforts fully
on the player, the framework for output generation and output connections.

Christian hopes to come back to Lumiera development somewhere this winter,
and our understanding is that we'll foremost focus our efforts on getting
the calculation and rendering part combined into a first integration round.

As we can't build everything required for that goal in an elaborated way right
now, I concentrated on the interfaces and basic framework in that area, allowing
us to use some placeholders to stand in for those parts later to be connected to
the objects in the session.

Currently I'm mostly concerned with the parts translating a continuously ongoing
"output stream", which you could play, pause, scrub, ffwd, into the repeated
invocation of "frame generation jobs". As you probably know, our engine will
then have a working queue to run these tiny jobs "just in time".

As a sideline, this work also led me to consider how to abstract different
kinds of external outputs in such a way, that the same engine implementation
will be able to serve an X display (with video frames) or e.g. an Jack audio
client/server with blocks of audio data. Doing it this way could provide
a foundation for other contributors taking on responsibility for one
specific kind of output connection, to be implemented independently
from the ongoing work at the engine

	Hermann Vosseler
	(aka "Ichthyo")