[Lumiera] Question about sigc++

Michael Fisher mfisher31 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 18:55:15 CEST 2011

(Trying to Connect my ZoomScale to a timeline state changed signal.)

I looked at the sigc++ docs and tutorial and as far as I can tell I'm doing
this correctly, but obviously not because I get very strange looking (to me)
compile errors.

in timeline-panel.cpp after all other widgets are g2g.

zoomScale.set_view_window(timelineWidget->get_state()->get_view_window());
  timelineWidget->signal_state_changed().
      connect(sigc::mem_fun(zoomScale,
&TimelineZoomScale::on_timeline_state_changed));

Is it not possible to connect to an object that is outside of
TimelinePanel?  I tried many different variations of connecting the signal.
Nothing is working for me.  I looked into sigc::bind() but that confused me
even more.

Although, I'm thinking that wiring the timeline_state_changed() signal
directly to the zoomscale widget may not be the best option.  Later down the
line, we very well will probably need to handle other actions when the state
changes.

Any help is appreciated, and If I start going overboard with newb question I
can quit that.  I'm just trying tEverybody is and get this thing going in a
timely fashion.