[Lumiera] Mob repository?

Ichthyostega prg at ichthyostega.de
Fri Oct 7 04:13:51 CEST 2011

Am 07.10.2011 00:14, schrieb Christian Thaeter:
>> well, lets first figure out whats broken. maybe its easy to fix. I can take
>> a look at the weekend.

Just tried again to push, here from my local PC....

hiv at flaucher:~/devel/lumi$ git push mob gui

Counting objects: 201, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (106/106), done.
Writing objects: 100% (115/115), 28.15 KiB, done.
Total 115 (delta 87), reused 19 (delta 9)
error: unpack failed: index-pack abnormal exit
fatal: read error: Connection reset by peer

When I try to push from my account at git.lumiera.org, I get similar errors

>> I'd like the mob repo just to stay as is (well fixed/working), we as
>> upstream should not alter it and leave it as testground for new people.

Well... at least we actively need to keep it up-to-date regularly.

The past experiences indicate that people using mob are typically new to git
and already highly confused by the huge lot of repositories on git.lumiera.org.
Several times then, users of mob just git clonned (or fetched from) mob, not
master, thus using a HEAD which is months behind current master.

Regarding the changes contributed to mob, I'm not sure how best to handle it.
If we don't alter mob, it becomes a mess over time, with a huge lot of started
and abandoned branches. Again, very confusing, both to a newbie, but also
as well for us.

Thus, in the past, several times I *did* actively alter Mob. Everytime, when I
discovered and reviewed a contribution, I *deleted* that branch from mob, after
having merged or rebased or cherry picked the changes to mainline. Otherwise I'd
be afraid loosing track of what is reviewed and included already.

But of course, I fully agree that we core devs shouldn't interfere with active
changes going on at the Mob repository.