[Lumiera] Lumiera Graphics

Michael R Fisher mfisher31 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 04:46:20 CET 2011

Good evening, morning or night!

I've added my external goocanvas, and graphics experiments back into the
Lumiera tree.  Definitely interested in being educated on how to build a
separate executable for testing.  There are actually two branches
now...  mfisher31/goocanvas and the sparkling new mfisher31/graphics.

The purpose of the graphics branch is to explore the possibility of
creating a Lumiera custom canvas widget and other Widgets that need to
constantly draw something.  The broad concept in my head is this:  There
a Gtk Canvas Widget which controls a Screen item that manages a tree of
child Items to be drawn.  The Screen would internally manage some kind
of "rendered image" that is drawn during the paint cycle.  The "rendered
image" should be compatible with Cairo, OpenGL and/or cogl.  The Canvas
Widget can tell the Screen to "paint", and then grab the rendered image
and display it using conventional Gtk custom widget commands.  The Gtk
Canvas should also forward Gdk events to the screen so it can deliver
them to individual items, update itself, etc...

I think this kind of Widget / Screen separation could also facilitate
more than just new Gui widgets.  Perhaps a Screen object could be
utilised in simple plugins such as basic media generators like solid
colors, gradient patterns, titlers, etc...  The GUI's for these plugins
could use the Canvas as a "WYSIWYG" editor for the lowlevel processing
side of it.  Not sure exactly how that would work, but it makes sense in
my brain.