[Lumiera] Fw: [piksel] [ANN] Linux Audio Conference 2011

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Tue Oct 12 18:26:41 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 12:42:43PM +0200, Kurt Georg Hooss wrote:

> sure. sorry if i was rude.
> this is a developers mailing list for a video production program
> that is not even usable now. they try to make a good thing for free.
>
> from the tone of your posting,
> i got the impression you needed someone to blame
> for the overall chaotic nature of open source in general...

I never meant to insult anyone.  I'm sorry if I did.

> so, sorry if i have to insist that you get what you pay for.
> if you want free software, well, you get it,  and you are free to use,
> study and improve, like those who made it. no payment, no obligation.

The major problem with open-source development isn't the chaotic nature
of development.  It's the lack of documentation.

> if you happen to need something that "just works reliably",
> then consider a manufacturer-warranted commercial product.

In my experience, both as a user and producer, I'd say the open-source
process is capable of better software than the closed-source commercial
process.  Of course, there are exceptions.  The IBM Cset compilers on
OS/2 were, for example, truly marvellous.

And, just in passing, the aim of the lumiera project is to make a video
editor that "just works reliably", isn't it?  I'm really looking forward
to seeing my youngest son (who is going into film) use lumiera
someday.  He won't until it reaches the "just works reliably" stage.

> cheers & (as said) good luck...

Same to the entire project,

-- hendrik