[Lumiera] BJMR's GUI mockup/brainstorm

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Mon Oct 11 15:48:50 CEST 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 06:49:39AM +0200, Ichthyostega wrote:
> roland schrieb:
> > What do you mean by "asset"? Can you give an example?
>
> Hi Roland,
>
> the assets are sort-of "the bookkeeping view" at the things contained in a
> session (=project). The most prominent example is the media loaded into
> the session. When it comes to effects, the effect asset is rather like the
> effect processor, while the individual effect as attached to a clip in the
> timeline can be seen as an "instance", i.e. a single application of that
> effect processor. There are further kinds of assets which are mostly of
> internal interest only (Sequences, busses, processing patterns, tracks)
>
> All of this might seem exaggerated complexity, but you should note that Lumiera
> is not limited to a specific kind of effects (e.g. Lumiera plugins); rather the
> plan is to support the most popular existing frameworks or plugin standards by
> providing a suitable adapter. That has the direct consequence that we'll need
> to keep track of certain metadata, like what kind of effect-plugin it is,
> what library to load for that plugin, and especially important what version
> number of the effect to allow. It might well be that someone tries to open
> an existing session on a system/installation which doesn't provide the
> necessary library (or the right version). Instead of failing or just
> discarding the effect, Lumiera will flag it as missing and disabled.
> That's basically the same behaviour as for a piece of media which is
> currently unavailable.

Lumiera is starting to look like a programming language... or more
precisely, like a programming environment -- on that has to be
extensible, handle multiple tools and multiple programming languages,
including ones that haven't been invented yet.  Recently I ran across a
paper on data structures for tools like that.  Perhaps there are some
ideas that transfer:

http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~black/publications/ModelExtensions.pdf

A Pattern Language for Extensible Program Representation
David Vainsencher and Andrew Black

-- hendrik