[Lumiera] BJMR's GUI mockup/brainstorm

Roland wildhostile at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 22:24:43 CEST 2010

Le 10/10/2010 00:49, Ichthyostega a écrit :
> roland schrieb:
>
>> What do you mean by "asset"? Can you give an example?
>>
> Hi Roland,
>
> the assets are sort-of "the bookkeeping view" at the things contained in a
> session (=project). The most prominent example is the media loaded into
> the session. When it comes to effects, the effect asset is rather like the
> effect processor, while the individual effect as attached to a clip in the
> timeline can be seen as an "instance", i.e. a single application of that
> effect processor. There are further kinds of assets which are mostly of
> internal interest only (Sequences, busses, processing patterns, tracks)
>
> All of this might seem exaggerated complexity, but you should note that Lumiera
> is not limited to a specific kind of effects (e.g. Lumiera plugins); rather the
> plan is to support the most popular existing frameworks or plugin standards by
> providing a suitable adapter. That has the direct consequence that we'll need
> to keep track of certain metadata, like what kind of effect-plugin it is,
> what library to load for that plugin, and especially important what version
> number of the effect to allow. It might well be that someone tries to open
> an existing session on a system/installation which doesn't provide the
> necessary library (or the right version). Instead of failing or just
> discarding the effect, Lumiera will flag it as missing and disabled.
> That's basically the same behaviour as for a piece of media which is
> currently unavailable.
>

>> The idea of "effect palette" (called "quick menu" by BJMR) is nice. It is a
>> sort of "customisable bar" where you can add your own links to your most
>> needed effects (or group of effects). But I find it an extra; the tab storing
>> all effects can equally contain a part where you can find these most used
>> effects.
>>
> Indeed we didn't decide much about the actual representation in the GUI yet --
> so my considerations are largely regarding what should be possible through the
> internal structures (which I'm developing). Here we'll get some kind of folder
> or container holding other objects or nested containers. We'll use these folders
> uniformly, even the tracks are just such folders. In timeline view, we'll just
> get a different presentation of these folders (namely the classical tracks
> with clips on it). Thus, theoretically you could "playback" a clip bin or
> look at the timeline contents with the asset view. I said theoretically,
> because actually implementing the GUI for this stuff is quite some work
> and we have to focus on other stuff firstly and for some time to come.
>
> Cheers
> Hermann V.

OK.

First, thanks for the discussion.

I think I got what an the asset view is. I will try to summarize the
idea for
dumb users (like me) who are following the discussion ... to be certain too.

Your answer expose two ideas: The asset and the way the asset is showed
to the user.

I see the asset as the project file. If it is a project file, the asset is a
text file (xml?).

Thus the asset can be showed to the user into three ways:
- as it is (a text file). Not user friendly but useful.
- as a timeline.
- as the folder-bin asset view. (still needed to be defined)

If I'm right, switching from the timeline to the folder-bin
representation and
from the folder-bin to the timeline view should be done quite easily by the
software (and transparently to the user) because the text file is the basis.
Thus the GUI could give the ability to switch from one to the other
style on a
simple click ... unless you want Lumiera to be exclusively a folder-bin
asset
view editor.

Then, I see two fields of discussion:
- The asset. What will it contain?
- The folder-bin view. How does it work?

Discussing on the asset (as the architecture of the project) doesn't prevent
discussion on a GUI (with a timeline for example) unless you think
Lumiera be
exclusively folder-bin style and want to focus on it.