[Lumiera] BJMR's GUI mockup/brainstorm

Ichthyostega prg at ichthyostega.de
Sun Oct 10 06:49:39 CEST 2010

roland schrieb:
> What do you mean by "asset"? Can you give an example?

Hi Roland,

the assets are sort-of "the bookkeeping view" at the things contained in a
session (=project). The most prominent example is the media loaded into
the session. When it comes to effects, the effect asset is rather like the
effect processor, while the individual effect as attached to a clip in the
timeline can be seen as an "instance", i.e. a single application of that
effect processor. There are further kinds of assets which are mostly of
internal interest only (Sequences, busses, processing patterns, tracks)

All of this might seem exaggerated complexity, but you should note that Lumiera
is not limited to a specific kind of effects (e.g. Lumiera plugins); rather the
plan is to support the most popular existing frameworks or plugin standards by
providing a suitable adapter. That has the direct consequence that we'll need
to keep track of certain metadata, like what kind of effect-plugin it is,
what library to load for that plugin, and especially important what version
number of the effect to allow. It might well be that someone tries to open
an existing session on a system/installation which doesn't provide the
necessary library (or the right version). Instead of failing or just
discarding the effect, Lumiera will flag it as missing and disabled.
That's basically the same behaviour as for a piece of media which is
currently unavailable.

> The idea of "effect palette" (called "quick menu" by BJMR) is nice. It is a
> sort of "customisable bar" where you can add your own links to your most
> needed effects (or group of effects). But I find it an extra; the tab storing
> all effects can equally contain a part where you can find these most used
> effects.

Indeed we didn't decide much about the actual representation in the GUI yet --
so my considerations are largely regarding what should be possible through the
internal structures (which I'm developing). Here we'll get some kind of folder
or container holding other objects or nested containers. We'll use these folders
uniformly, even the tracks are just such folders. In timeline view, we'll just
get a different presentation of these folders (namely the classical tracks
with clips on it). Thus, theoretically you could "playback" a clip bin or
look at the timeline contents with the asset view. I said theoretically,
because actually implementing the GUI for this stuff is quite some work
and we have to focus on other stuff firstly and for some time to come.

Cheers
Hermann V.