[Lumiera] BJMR's GUI mockup/brainstorm

roland wildhostile at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 09:34:57 CEST 2010

Ichthyostega <prg at ...> writes:

> roland schrieb:
> > I see that effects need four things: - A place to store them, - A place to
> > change their parameters, - A way to see them when they are added on a clip -
> > A way to see that their parameters change along the time.
>
> Hi Roland,
>
> that's a good and concise summary!
> The first one is obvious: we'll get asset views. Lumiera treats effects as kind
> of asset. Personally I'd like the ability to put together an "effect palette"
> with only those (small number of) effects you know to use frequently
>
> The third one is also rather obvious. Cinelerra does the right thing here IMHO
> (i.e. showing the attached effects as a small bar alongside of the clips).
>
> But the other two points are rather challenging from a GUI / workflow design
> viewpoint. While the basic solution approach is sort-of clear, the difficult
> question is how to do it in a way that scales to larger projects. How to keep
> a huge number of individual effect attachments under control. How to work on
> a larger project, where you have to tweak an parameter here and there,
> frequently jumping around between several "active" areas of the current
> session you're working on....?
>
> Cheers,
> Hermann V.

Thanks,

What do you mean by "asset"? Can you give an example?

The idea of "effect palette" (called "quick menu" by BJMR) is nice. It is a sort
of "customisable bar" where you can add your own links to your most needed
effects (or group of effects). But I find it an extra; the tab storing all
effects can equally contain a part where you can find these most used effects.
The "effect palette" could be an option in a preference window: "enable effect
palette" permanently or not.

Larger project is not the problem to me. I liked the idea of the first mockup
drawer (Joel?) to divide the timeline into parts focussing on given areas of
your project. However I find it outdated. The gui should give the ability to
zoom in/out in the timeline with the mouse wheel (or some clicks).

Workspace available is a bigger problem for me. Will it be possible to work on a
single 17" screen as if you were on a 22" screen or a dual head configuration?
At least a single 17" screen owner should not be too much limited.