[Lumiera] Linux audio and black art (was: Linux Audio Conference 2011)

Ichthyostega.. prg at ichthyostega.de
Mon Oct 4 17:53:37 CEST 2010

Am 04.10.2010 14:12, schrieb Hendrik Boom:
> ... this is something that really bothers me as a user. I wish Linux audio
> weren't a black art.  There are too many systems, eash written to bypass
> problems with the others, incompatible, with adapters between them .... it
> becomes hard just to get audio to work at all.  There's folk remedies like
> "reconfigure alsa every time you boot" and such.

Hi Hendrik,

on the last LAC at Utrecht this May there was an interesting Speech
"Pro Audio is easy, Consumer Audio is Hard". The central message was that,
while initially the professional grade audio with high frame rates, multiple
channels, low latency etc. was certainly quite a challenge, meanwhile another
topic turned out to be the far greater challenge for the Linux Audio community
to get right: namely a simple plain-flat consumer audio system that "just
works". That means applications and audio connections coming and going,
some just for sending some silly "beep", all without glitches and noticeable
clicks (timeouts, buffer overruns) and in surround please and -- what's
especially hard, all on top of some crappy consumer audio chip with entirely
misdesigned and unreliable hardware timers, missing or plain wrong specs

Anyway, seemingly the "guys on the other side of the brickwall" have already
noticed this problem and are trying hard to pick up on that challenge

Cheers
Hermann V.

Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com> hat am 4. Oktober 2010 um 14:12 geschrieben: