[Lumiera] some thoughts on clips/bin and metadata

Ichthyostega prg at ichthyostega.de
Fri Jul 16 16:27:41 CEST 2010

startx schrieb:
> i helped working on a web video project last year and one issue which came up
> was always that most NLE so not integrate much in the way you can organise
> clips or access clip metadata. most NLE just list the clips (+ some info
> about size and title). on the other hand containers like matroska allow
> extensive tagging and comments via xml embedded in the container.

> my vision is that you could actually read metadata like matroska xml and CMML
>  wile going through the clips in your project bin, and (maybe im too
> ambitious here) edit them.

Hi startx,

indeed, that's an important step in each production and I agree with you
that we should try to offer some solution here.

> one reason why i say that is because i discussed the possibility of setting
> up some server based system where people could draw clips from, edit the xml
> metadata (matroska is the reference point here) and then push the info back
> to the server which would merge it with other pushed metadata.

Do you know "Celtx" ?
http://celtx.com/overview.html

In the past, it's gotten some reputation. Basically they provide
an integrated pre/production environment.

I'm not sure if the software itself is open source (they just label it
as "free"). Anyway, they're providing an central service to use their
server for managing productions (Uhm... personally I wouldn't do that)
And of course, they offer to sell you extensions....

> i know some people will no shout that "that an NLE is not made for that", but
> from my experience the NLE is exaclty the place where people actually watch
> the clips and use them, so it seems a natural place for colloboration for me.
> would it be possible to introduce a plugin based system to work on something
> like this? ( i guess that could be a chance where lua comes back into play)

Yes, basically this is still kind-of in the scope of our project, but
what happens there largely depends on contributions. In the core, we'll
build a system of "Assets", which allow us to attach the metadata we
need to work with those entries within the main program. Assets are
organised into folders, and the GUI will at the bare minimum show a
human understandable presentation of this structure.

For going beyond that, there are two possibilities:
- - extending by plugins
- - write a "sister application" which shares the session format with Lumiera

For the latter approach, we had a "DesignProposal" some time ago:
http://lumiera.org/Lumiera/DesignProcess/DelectusShotEvaluator.html

While the core team in its current shape needs to concentrate on the
main application, we'd encourage everyone to expand on those ideas.