[Lumiera] BJMR's GUI mockup/brainstorm

Brian Rytel tesla.pictures at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 22:43:24 CEST 2010

Hendrik,

I appreciate you soliciting Geoffrey's insights.

Once again, I would like to be clear: this is a mock-up, and furthermore,
one executed for design discussion only.

To quickly cover Geoffrey's comments:

1. all the tracks appear as the same size. this is good, because it's
appealing to the eye, and if your editing video for 8 hours straight
(which i do from time to time) you want to have something that's nice on
the eyes.

1. Just like every professional NLE, the tracks will be resizeable in any
way you like.

Personal Note:
While neither I, nor any editors I know in LA use Vegas, I do recall at some
point that it's audio tracks could be crammed into a percentage of the
parent video track. Frankly, from an audio standpoint I dislike this,
because I need to see the waveforms, and generally have my audio tracks
larger than my video tracks.

2. The videos on the tracks should have thumbnails from the video itself.
I'm not sure if the black and white is just for show, or if it's going to
be in the actual design, but it's just confusing to me. the reason to
have thumbnails on each of the video files is that it gives you hints as
to what scene it is. without this, you would have to watch the entire
video (which sometimes adds up to 5 hours of raw footage) in order to
find the scene that you want. nobody wants to spend this time!

2. Of course! However we are way premature to be throwing around thumb-nails
and waveforms drawn into tracks. I, the mockup-maker am a professional
editor, and so are a number of us here, I realize just how important
thumbnails are.

Adding these details would distract people from the underlying design, which
apparently the lack-of will do as well. Because the appearance of these
items will be so dependent on the coding, and because we are a ways off from
even building a GUI, they're simply out of the context of the design.

3. this is the main important point i want to make. in this mockup, the
video and audio seems to be put there in a total random order. it looks
SUPER confusing. the way sony vegas organizes the video files is very
nice, it puts all the video together in one group, and all the audio
together, this works very well because it doesn't look like a scrambled
up mess.

3) From someone not familiar with the nest design of the project I can see
how this can appear strange. For more info about the nesting of tracks look
at the GUI brainstorming pages, or the ML archives.

Ichthyo and I discussed ways to provide 'tradition' (video on top, audio on
bottom) and 'new' ways. This nesting system enables you to use the
traditional way very easily, while providing a powerful new dynamic.

B.J.M.R.