[Lumiera] BJMR's GUI mockup/brainstorm

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Jul 15 19:52:28 CEST 2010

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 13:10:55 -0700, Brian Rytel wrote:

> Just a little mock-up/brainstorm. I tried to incorporate the
> pre-existing GUI ideas already floating around.
>
> B.J.M.R.

I don't edit video, but my son Geoffrey has been doing it for almost two
years.  I showed him the mockups, and solicited his comments.  Here they
are.

-- hendrik

Hello, i just looked at this setup for the example of what the lumiera
layout will look like, it looks pretty at first glance, but after looking
at it for more than a second, it looks confusing and ugly. first of all,
I think you might want to look at the sony vegas layout for ideas about
the video and audio tracks. they use a very clear and clean design. 3
things that it has that this doesn't are :

1. all the tracks appear as the same size. this is good, because it's
appealing to the eye, and if your editing video for 8 hours straight
(which i do from time to time) you want to have something that's nice on
the eyes.

2. The videos on the tracks should have thumbnails from the video itself.
I'm not sure if the black and white is just for show, or if it's going to
be in the actual design, but it's just confusing to me. the reason to
have thumbnails on each of the video files is that it gives you hints as
to what scene it is. without this, you would have to watch the entire
video (which sometimes adds up to 5 hours of raw footage) in order to
find the scene that you want. nobody wants to spend this time!

3. this is the main important point i want to make. in this mockup, the
video and audio seems to be put there in a total random order. it looks
SUPER confusing. the way sony vegas organizes the video files is very
nice, it puts all the video together in one group, and all the audio
together, this works very well because it doesn't look like a scrambled
up mess.

one more recommendation i have, that sony vegas doesn't do, is when you
click on one video file, it should highlight the audio file that goes
with it. that would be very useful.