[Lumiera] BJMR's GUI mockup/brainstorm

Brian Rytel tesla.pictures at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 06:39:28 CEST 2010

I had yet to follow-up this mock-up with any explanation, as I sent it
during the dev meeting today.

Regarding the audio meters, 1 I chose the gradient as something to do
quickly, we all know what VU meters are. 2 the hash marks are quite wrong, I
am aware of that. 3 It would need to expand to add more meters, and likely
become a separate GUI element.

The VU meter was one the components I gave the least attention, as I knew it
would be redesigned later for many reasons.

Note that this mock-up is just an illustration, not a screenshot. Also, it
is for ideas and discussion, to visualize a more a complete GUI than we
really had looked at before.

The several things to note are the design of the track nests/groups, the
cursors and very space-efficient Time Rulers, and the 'summary' tracks
(better term pending) when a track is minimized. I wanted to show a couple
different presentation methods for the asset bin, one of which doesn't exist
in any other NLE I'm aware of.

While I wanted to contribute the styling of the GUI, the visual elements
aren't particularly important, eg color, rounded corners, the flat look,
etc. These will surely evolve or outright change. I purposefully designed it
in grayscale so that color would not be an issue, and that it would be easy
to skin over.

B.J.M.R.