[Lumiera] Which timecode formats do we want?

Christian Thaeter ct at pipapo.org
Fri Jul 9 01:07:03 CEST 2010

Brian Rytel wrote:
> @Stefan, just checked ardour
>
> Having to click to TC widget 4 times to enter a TC location is
> maddening. Is there a way to have it take all the numbers entered and
> simply move them "over" to the next highest field?
>
> My non-programmers concept:
>
> 00:00:00:(00) <- I click here
> and input 1004
> the input dialog knows only (2) digits per dialog (as it does now),
> but rather than limiting further entry, it would pass (10) to the next
> dialog?
> You could daisy-chain this action for all digits, rather than write a
> new widget.
>
> I don't know how easy/logical that is in code, let me know...I should
> also note my described method is a convention in all professional NLEs,
> and should be considered carefully.
>
> While I don't intend to contradict any current design concepts, CT
> described the TC widget as primarily a display.
> In use, the TC counter(s) (as there are generally several) are there
> equally for entry & display, and have to effectively do both.

not really, input there would be very convinient. I am always think
about CAD programs and commandlines here, it would be nice when one can
enter different representation with a slightly different and convinient
syntax, whatever is currently displayed. This things need to worked out,
just some brainstorming:
  0:00:00:(00) <- I click here

12345 -> user enters a number .. jumps to the position as you described
including shift more digits into the other counters.

@123.456 go to time in sec also parse @1'2"34.5 like things as timestamp

#1234 go to a frame number

+#12 jump 12 frames forward

- at 34 jump 34 seconds backwards

well i like to have some 1 line command input someday which takes typed
commands like  "pos +#12"  "track down" and so on

	Christian