[Lumiera] Which timecode formats do we want?

Burkhard Plaum plaum at ipf.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Jul 8 13:41:24 CEST 2010

Hi,

Florian Faber schrieb:
> Burkhard,
>
>>> Well, it is my believe that old crap has to be abandoned at a certain
>>> point. Supporting anything else but square pixels and integer frame
>>> rates is just a waste of time. We have to move on, people.
>> Yea, then you can transcode all DVD/DVB/DV streams with lossy scaling and
>> framerate conversion (if in NTSC land) before loading them into an editor.
>
> Losses in SD video? Sorry I have to laugh: If your source is DVD/DVB/DV,
> the material is already broken before you even touch it.

No reason to break them even more. Some footage simply *is* in legacy formats,
whether you like it or not.

>> Also, neither nonsquare pixels nor rational framerate take much time
>> to support if it's done right.
>
> That's not the point. The point is that legacy crap is out there because
> it is still supported. And that has to stop.

If you want to be a missionary for a better world, you are free to follow
this path :)

A video developer should work for the broadest possible format support.

Video formats are crap by definition, not only the details like noninteger
Framerates and nonsquare pixels but also broken container formats.
Whenever I imagine a worst case of stupidity, it doesn't take long until
I find a media file, where this actually comes true :)

Burkhard