[Lumiera] Which timecode formats do we want?

Stefan Kangas skangas at skangas.se
Thu Jul 8 13:30:49 CEST 2010

Burkhard Plaum <plaum at ipf.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:

> If I'm not mistaken, all timecode formats can losslessly and trivially
> be converted from/to framecounts, right? So would it make sense to support
> anything but framecounts internally?

Internally, time is represented by gavl_time_t, which is a 64 bit
integer.  You can think of it as milliseconds based, though it can be
much more precise if needed.  My understanding is that the decision has
been made to have time continous, instead of frame based.[1]

All timecode formats I have looked at thus far can be losslessy
convertable to/from this representation without much hassle.

      Stefan Kangas

   [1] http://lists.lumiera.org/pipermail/lumiera/2009-May/000938.html