[Lumiera] Which timecode formats do we want?

Florian Faber faber at faberman.de
Thu Jul 8 11:27:39 CEST 2010

Burkhard,

>> Well, it is my believe that old crap has to be abandoned at a certain
>> point. Supporting anything else but square pixels and integer frame
>> rates is just a waste of time. We have to move on, people.
> Yea, then you can transcode all DVD/DVB/DV streams with lossy scaling and
> framerate conversion (if in NTSC land) before loading them into an editor.

Losses in SD video? Sorry I have to laugh: If your source is DVD/DVB/DV,
the material is already broken before you even touch it.

> Also, neither nonsquare pixels nor rational framerate take much time
> to support if it's done right.

That's not the point. The point is that legacy crap is out there because
it is still supported. And that has to stop.

> Regarding timecodes:
> If I'm not mistaken, all timecode formats can losslessly and trivially
> be converted from/to framecounts, right? So would it make sense to support
> anything but framecounts internally?

They are only important when importing/exporting or mixing sources with
different framerates, yes.

Flo
--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key DA43FEF4          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net