[Lumiera] Which timecode formats do we want?

Burkhard Plaum plaum at ipf.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Jul 8 11:14:29 CEST 2010

Hi,

Florian Faber schrieb:
> On 07/08/10 10:47, Edouard Chalaron wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the very constructive comment
>
> Well, it is my believe that old crap has to be abandoned at a certain
> point. Supporting anything else but square pixels and integer frame
> rates is just a waste of time. We have to move on, people.

Yea, then you can transcode all DVD/DVB/DV streams with lossy scaling and
framerate conversion (if in NTSC land) before loading them into an editor.

Also, neither nonsquare pixels nor rational framerate take much time
to support if it's done right.

Regarding timecodes:
If I'm not mistaken, all timecode formats can losslessly and trivially
be converted from/to framecounts, right? So would it make sense to support
anything but framecounts internally?

Burkhard