[Lumiera] lua scripting and lumiera

Christian Thaeter ct at pipapo.org
Thu Jul 16 20:22:02 CEST 2009

Ichthyostega wrote:
> startx schrieb:
>> ive also done a lot of work in lua recently, too, and i am curious to find
>> out for what you plan to use lua in lumiera to see if i might be able to help
>> at some point.
>
>> i skimmed the email list and website but could not find any information about
>> lumiera and lua.
>

> Hello startx,
>
> you are welcome! You couldn't find much definitive information about
> Lua use within Lumiera, because we didn't yet reach the point where
> it would make sense to plan much details about this topic.
>
> Right from start, we set the fundamental goal for Lumiera to to be
> modular and extensible in a way that on the large, it should become
> a scriptable application. Especially, we don't want to sit down
> at some point in the future and start designing a "scripting API".
> Rahter, the goal was and is to build things such as to be inherently
> scriptable. Essentially, this means to compose the application from
> services and building blocks, which interact on clear defined APIs
> and protocols, without making far reaching assumptions about their
> respective clients. As a binding, we use an plain C based interface
> system (invented by Cehteh).
>
> While, on the whole we can expect extensions and plugins to be written
> in various languages, we thought it might be a good idea to define an
> "official" glue language, meaning that the interpreter and bindings
> for this language are guaranteed to be always available. After
> considering the options and our personal preferences, we
> settled down for LUA to play this role.

Note that my (currently early, immature) plans are to integrate lua as
first class part into lumiera. Then making the interface system
generically available to lua what would result in that one could do
(almost) anything which is doable in C/C++ in lua too (except for
performance problems). This gives a very low level layer to play with
lua, mainly for prototyping new ideas and inject tests and other
prelimary stuff. Plugins itself can be written in C/C++ and any language
which bind to C as well as plain Lua then.

On top of this we'll then create a still low level but well defined
interface to selected lumiera internals which can be used control and
manipulate the lumiera state on a detailed level.

And finally someone[tm] can create a high level interface in the spirit
of avisynth or something along that which offers a convinient way to
script sessions.

This saied, this are all plans. Its adviseable to work on Lua
integration as soon as possible, but we are not even there yet. If
somone wants to take on this we will be happy for any help we can get.

	Christian