[Lumiera] Scheduler:

Burkhard Plaum plaum at ipf.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Jul 1 10:46:48 CEST 2009

Hi,

Christian Thaeter wrote:
> Anton Yakovlev wrote:
>> Hi, guys!
>>
>> Two simple questions:
>> 1) How to interpret job's gavl_time_t value from scheduler's point of
>> view? I mean, how can I understand, that it's time to fire up some job?
>
> The job's time should be copied into the schedulers table, that needs
> more memory space, but far less pointer dereferencings (i saied that
> already). Then the heap algorithm can just do (64bit type) comparsions
> (less than) to sort it. Note that the scheduler runs on real/absolute
> time. Gavl has no much provisions for this (Burkhard, shall we do our
> own stuff here or do you want to include some simple time functions
> which in the gavltime api?).

There is a simple timer already (gavl_timer_t), which works perfectly
for me. The flaw is, that it's based on gettimeofday(), the
most portable solution. I would like to implement it with
clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, ...), but that must be optional
since I'm sure that MinGW (where gavl was ported to) doesn't have
clock_gettime().

If you can live with the current gavl_timer_t API, you can use it.
If you think you need more (or different) functionality, it would
better to do your own stuff.

Burkhard